The village of Grimesthorpe, near Sheffield, had a number of brass bands, the main Grimesthorpe Brass Band being reasonably successful on the contest stage from the 1890’s to WW1. This band should not be confused with the more famous Grimethorpe Colliery Band (near Barnsley) which was formed in 1917.
The Grimesthorpe Brass Band was active from the mid-1860s to the 1930s. Mr Frith played euphonium in 1902 (see him with his medals below). The conductor was Joseph Brookes in 1895 to 1898, and George H. Mercer from 1899 to the 1930’s. The band’s last known contest appearance was in December 1936, at the Sheffield Victoria Hall, but it appears that it did not survive much longer, and certainly did not resume after WW2.
In addition to the village band there also was the Grimesthorpe Free Church Brass Band – founded around 1889, active through into the 1890’s; Grimesthorpe Reform Brass Band – active in 1891 to 1894 (contemporary with the Grimesthorpe Brass Band); and Grimesthorpe United Methodist Brass Band – active in 1890 and through the 1890’s (also known as Grimesthorpe Temperance Brass Band or Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Band). There was also a Grimesthorpe Concertina Band during the 1890’s.